add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Another Building Scenario (not by Ender_Mist)

AverageGangMember
  • 36 months ago

So I wanted to more of this building scenario thing, so I made a topic myself. Same disclaimer.

Disclaimer: This is not a real build! No one actually needs this, which is why I put it in off-topic so people who actually need help get help. The point of this is so see what the community would recommend in these interesting scenarios. Have fun with this silly idea and tell me what you think.

"I work for a company and would like a machines that can do these tasks. Maya, C4D, Blender, AutoCAD, Sony Vegas, and use of Adobe products. These machines will be on 24/7 and must be as power efficient as possible as we're building at least 5 of the same exact machines for workers. The budget is $2500 and must include a keyboard with extra buttons and is really good for typing, a mouse with extra buttons, (extra for macros and such), and 2 monitors great for color and is a good size. Also please nothing flashy."

My Build

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Change to 1700 and get normal 23.6"+ x2.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Why the 1080 if no gaming?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Some of the applications use the GPU.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh

I totally knew that

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E5-2640 V3 2.6GHz 8-Core Processor $899.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.98 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $289.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $229.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Toshiba X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $147.63 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Define C with Window ATX Mid Tower Case $82.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.49 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $238.00 @ B&H
Monitor Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $238.00 @ B&H
Keyboard Logitech G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard $79.90 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech MX Master Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse $67.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2490.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-14 20:42 EDT-0400
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Why a Haswell E CPU instead of Ryzen?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I figured that the stability of Haswell E would be needed more than the performance increase. Also I don't know exact how this and Ryzen compete in these tasks

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

For what the scenario is looking for, the xeon chip is far worse value to performance. Ryzen is pretty lock stable for this type of workload and will run circles around the xeon.

That saves you $400 on the CPU and $150 on the board . A video card is also a must. Specially using the Adobe suite. They take real advantage of Cuda and you will see a decent improvement in productivity. The same goes for several of the other applications mentioned in the OP.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, thanks for the info. As you can probably tell, I'm not that good with these types of builds

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not either. But I've gotten into video recording and editing the past 4 months along with 3d rendering, sound editing, and a little cad. I've come to learn real quick what components work well and which do not. if I didn't have my ultrawide I'd go insane. The color alone makes it almost impossible to work with.

also changed my mind on the MX mastere. hehe some of the recommendations are $150 plus making the MX Master look like a steal.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Do they have a mass storage server?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's say no.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I would go with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor $484.45 @ PCM
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U9DXi4 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler $59.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $82.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $241.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $249.99 @ B&H
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $249.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate IronWolf 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $199.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card $219.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $56.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.98 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus PA248Q 24.1" 1920x1200 Monitor $299.00 @ Jet
Keyboard Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech MX Master Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse $67.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2482.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-14 22:27 EDT-0400

I went with the cheapest B350 mother board I could find that offered 2 M.2 slots, Type C port on back, and allowed 3000+ memory. The Asrock Pro4 board has all the features needed at a pretty decent price.

Noctua cooler for super quiet operation. Editing video's with a loud cooler is obnoxious.

64gb of memory allows for a lot of room to keep multiple apps going. Photoshop, After effects, Adobe Media Encoder, and Premier all running at the same time will devour a huge chunk of memory. Being able to utilize more than one or two apps at a time will prepping video for editing is a HUGE time saver. Though i'd imagine a company like this would have a render farm set up.

For storage I went with two 500gb 960 evo's. One for OS and apps and the other for scratch disk and temporary video storage (encoding to a fast NVMe drive saves a ton of time). The 6tb ironwolf drive would be used for final storage prior to be offloaded to a back up server.

I wasn't to sure about the video card. I know from personal experience with my GTX 1080 the time difference between using a GPU and not using a gpu for rendering and encoding is considerable when using premier and media encoder. i know Maya can utilize GPU's as well. So I went with a middle of the road option with a decent amount of vram on board.

Only other item worth mentioning is the asus 1920x1200 monitor. It has 100% sRGB which is good for content creation. Down the road, I'd probably opt in for a second one as well.

I stayed with the Logitech MX because I use one, but I know there are cheaper mice out there that will do the same job.

What was left over was enough to purchase the best CPU I could for this platform, the 1800x. You could definalty save a few bucks and go with the 1700 or 1700x, but if you have the money... why not go with the top chip?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube