add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen Potential Core Unlocking?

AverageGangMember

35 months ago

I hear Ryzen's r5 line up are basically the r7 chips that all cores didn't pass marks on, so they've disabled it. I'm wondering if we could unlock those cores like back in the day with the triple core chips. I'm thinking it may be possible for all cores to work because they'd need r5 chips as most of the market is in this price range.

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess wait and see. The RX-480 4gb version was able to be unlocked to the 8gb version when first released. AMD just "seems" like they give up on a lot of stuff and just disable things for lower tier products.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess that's usually why a i7 "k" overclocks more than a i5 "k" version. I'm not saying this is 100% true but i have noticed that the i7 mainstreams overclock slightly better than the i5's.

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 2 points

Highly doubt the best are saved for Xeons.... Xeon E3 V5 and V6 have higher TDP ratings than equally clocked i7 parts.

It's also possible that they've created a separate thermal design and power delivery specification for the enterprise boards with more minimum overhead in the design as a way to "separate" it from the consumer platform that much further. I suspect this is more likely, however, I highly doubt there is any meaningful difference in binning quality between E3's and i7's of equal clock speeds.

FYI: the i7 K models are no doubt getting the best bins, not the Xeons.

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 2 points

Actually the consumer CPU's still make up more than half of Intel Sales.

I highly doubt the Xeons are getting better cores than the i7-K's on the 1151 platform.

Can you offer a link to support this theory?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube