add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Under $50CAD DAC & Headphone AMP?

Knigel
  • 37 months ago

I'm checking out options to replace the included mobo audio on the cheap. I currently have Philips SHP9500 Headphones and would like to bring them to life on my new computer build.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 0 points

What motherboard do you currently have? If it's anything recent and you have no problems with it like interference (crackling, hissing, popping noises) it won't be worth it.

You could buy a basic sound card in that budget like a Xonar DX which would remove the problems mentioned above but that's all it will do. You won't see a worthwhile improvement in sound unless you are using an ancient computer.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe I will be going with an MSI Z270 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be good to go. No external dac/amp needed.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting and just goes to show how soundcard specs can't be trusted. According to the manufacturer's webpage the DX has a higher SNR than the DGX. I said the DX thinking of a generic soundcard but looking on amazon it doesn't seem like it's even available anymore and replaced by the DGX.

All soundcards have a headphone amplifier though otherwise they wouldn't have a headphone input available.

The E10k is twice as much as the DGX so it's out of the budget. Not really needed for these headphones either.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube