add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Over-ear Headphones Under $500

tulache
  • 38 months ago

I use my headphones for everything; Music, Gaming and Video (anime). I only use them at my computer or with my 3DS, so I don't need them to have any special features.

I'm interested in open ear headphones, but I've never used them, so I'm a bit afraid of how much my background noise would effect my listening experience. The fans in my computer are a bit noisy, so I'm not sure if high volume would drown that out, or if the noise would interfere with my immersion during silent points in music/videos.

I have always used closed ear headphones, so I'm open to suggestions from any side.

Extra info on my audio experience:

I just sent back my Fostex TH-X00 Headphones due to durability issues. They were the best headphones I've ever had, so I really disappointed that the headphones were attached to the headband so cheaply that both headphones popped off after a year of use. Luckily Massdrop gave me a full refund <3.

I also own pair of SRH1450, but they make a high pitched white noise under a specific frequency every so often in my right ear, which is driving me insane (let me know if you know a possible fix to this issue!).

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

If you don't need super low extending and hard hitting sub-bass, Sennheiser HD 600. They've been a benchmark in recording studios for the past 20 years or so for their neutral sound. Also super comfy, you can wear them all day without a problem and they're built like a tank. You'll want a good source and a headphone amplifier to use them with. On the budget side I'd recommend the Schiit Modi/Magni 2.

Background noise with open back headphones won't be a problem unless you're using them in public.

About the random noise with your Shure... maybe it's interference? Does the problem persist across different devices?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Think I'll go with the HD 600 than. I've always loved Sennheiser, but I was a bit reluctant to get these since they are a fairly old model. I guess the audio technology hasn't advanced enough for that to matter, if audio technology advancement is even a thing.

For my Shure headphones, it isn't interference since I've experienced it when my cord is not set up properly. Getting them shipped off for warranty. Are the Shure headphones better than Sennheiser HD 600? I'm curious how much of a difference open-ear makes.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Are your Shure the 1540? I misread them for the 440. I haven't heard them myself so I can't tell you my impressions but if you agree with this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-10-mid-priced-sealed-headphone-survey-shure-srh1540#XrByJs7oE3oaJPH6.97

Then I think the HD 600 would be a superior headphone sound-wise. The Shures seem to be built better though. The 600 have an addicting sound that can get you lost in music for hours on end as they are never harsh and the tonal balance is similar to what you would hear in real life. However the sub bass does roll off around 40Hz and they won't be able to slam like your TH-X00.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, they are 1540s. I might have to agree with that review. At the time that I purchased them, they were considered some of the best headphones at that price range by multiple sites, but it's really difficult to find reliable reviews for headphones.

Is the site you linked for their review a reliable source, and do you have any other sites you rely on for reviews that you could recommend me?

I decided on buying the HD600 and just going with 2 pairs of headphones and swapping out as needed.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, the main reviews are by Tyll Herstens whose considered the grandfather of the hobby. He created several revolutionary technologies used by headphone amplifiers and has been reviewing headphones for over 20 years. His ears are great at critical listening and describing sound. He also provides measurements of the headphones' technical performance and has guides on how to read those measurements.

The link I provided was from a different person but I found his reviews to be spot on from the headphones I've owned or tried. The SRH 1540 actually made the innerfidelity wall of fame so I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Another review site I like is Verum Sonus but it's recently founded and does not have many headphones.

For in ear monitors theheadphonelist is excellent.

Head-fi user reviews can be great but also terrible, I try to look for well written reviews from users with experience with multiple headphones. It's good to see what others think and spot a common trend.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

IF you want something cheaper, get the Superlux 668Bs. Dac and Amp may amplify the experience. It's semi-open so best of both worlds.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

They are cheap because they have horrible build quality. Also with what Fang has pulled recently I would avoid the company on the whole.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't and I say this because I've owned their headphones before. They look like they are solidly built upon first glance, but they cheap out in areas where it matters.

The new lineup isn't as bad as the old ones like HE-400,500, and 6 where the headband would start to fall apart because it can't support the weight of the drivers.

But quality control is still an issue. Lots of owners had problems where the earpads, jacks, and cable break. Then they get to deal with their nightmare of customer support.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube