add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[CH][1080p / 1440p] Gaming Beast - Approx. 2k

Raz0r

52 months ago

Howdy PCPartPickers

A few weeks or months ago, I've already created a similar thread.

However I decided that I've wanted to change quite a few things, thus also creating a new thread.

I've decided to go with a Skylake Build. Budget is around 2k.

Mostly I'm writing this thread to ensure I don't have any bad parts in it.

...so do I?

What I plan on using my build for:

• 1080p / 1440p - Gaming (I want to have a smooth and fluid experience on all the newest titles)

• Video rendering (Sony Vegas), Cinema 4D, Lightroom 5 / 6 (just for fun...)

What am I looking for in my build:

• Future Proof - I think I might upgrade in 3 Years with another GTX 980 Ti - Is that smart?

• Also I prefer INTEL and nVidia, but I'm open to suggestions otherwise...

I am not entirely sure on Memory, Harddisk. However also open if you think I should switch other parts.

Here's the list: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $369.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $89.90 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $202.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $107.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $179.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $669.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $132.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $140.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Other IB-865 / ICY BOX, Multicard Reader, 3.5" $30.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2044.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-23 08:58 EDT-0400

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it a good idea to switch the WD Black for a Seagate Desktop HD?` They have similar specifications and a huge price difference - not sure though...

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

WD Black is very good quality, hence the price.

From what I understand Seagate had like an entire shipment of lemon 3TB drives in the past so they lost a lot of credibility because of so many of their products dying so fast.

I personally am going with a 2TB Seagate Barracuda in a similar build, but if money isn't a super huge issue I'd stick with the WD Black.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, guess I'll stick with the WD Black.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

the only thing i would do is maybe going liquid or noctua, but thats just me. Otherwise is great.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I really hate the look of the noctua.

I have mostly dark and red (gfx card) components and I plan to put in some red led lights as well. What liquid cooling would be easy and good?

Since I'm also aiming for a silent build, it should be something not giving off too much noise... :)

Suggestions?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Well yeah, looks and prices are de the only downside of noctua.

i think neptom 240m is quiter (and bit cheaper) than the h100 so that would be a good choice.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the H100i quieter than the dark rock? Since I could currently get one a little cheaper... :)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Wouldn't know. Try to read some reviews to see.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going with the dark rock pro. :)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The Noctua CPU fans are often as silent (or even slightly more so) compared to be Quiet or liquid components. But the currently selected be Quiet cooler is also a pretty good one. I hear Noctua has a new series of fans that come out in Black with orange highlights. Not sure when they are being released though. Liquid cooling is a good choice as well at this price point.

Only 8GB of RAM? Going 2 x 8 GB wouldn't cost you at all and offers (minor) dual channel benefits in some of your use cases.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah okay, I'll see if I can find anything on the new noctua series. Might as well go with the Corsair CPU liquid cooling, not sure....

That was an accident, I wanted to put 16... :)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

32gb ram for what

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know, thought I'd be on the safe side for video rendering. However, I guess you're right. I'm not be doing a lot of that anyway, so I better stick to 16GB. Will change later :)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Future Proof - I think I might upgrade in 3 Years with another GTX 980 Ti - Is that smart?

Well, that had been my plan as of about 3 days ago, but i've decided i'm just gonna pick up a 970 until pascal rolls around. Pascal is supposed to be fantastic, and i'm willing to hold off with a 970 till the time being (quarter 3 of next year at the latest).

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm, well I guess a 970 could run most games in solid frames on 1080p until then... Might reconsider, not sure yet...

I'd need to wait with buying a new monitor as well then

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a matter of personal preference if you ask me. If you think Pascal is going to be leaps and bounds better than Maxwell like they're claiming it's going to be then it's probably worth it to wait. If you're being held back from games you want to play right now then i would say get a current gen card and let your budget dictate 970 or 980 or 980ti. I just know the 970 is a beast @1080p still, and it'll easily last the year or so (at the latest) pascal is predicted to be released.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I want to play games like Witcher 3 and Fallout once it's coming out on full settings.... ...and I really would be pissed if I had any form of fps lag :p

Like I said, aiming for 1080p and 1440p, so I think the 980 Ti is probably a good choice. I'll just wait for the release after Pascal and get that GFX Card again or something like that :p

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Changed PSU, since I read really good reviews of the SeaSonic X 850W.

If I want to buy custom psu cables, should I order them once I completed my build... or doesn't matter really?

• 52 months ago
  • 0 points

Your build looks quite good!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube