I wasn't happy with a few things about my first build, mainly its look. This is the reason of my upgrade. I also wanted to learn how to do a custom loop, so this was the occasion to try and make this build look a little more like those nice looking ones out there. The main idea was a basic "heart transplant": my system into another case, but I ended up getting a few upgrades along the way. What I wasn't expecting is to have had so many issues due to the size of the EATX mobo I had, thinking that buying an EATX compatible case would be enough. Clearance issues for everything on the right side of the mobo (even 90° sata cables had trouble fitting into the opening between the mobo and the radiator) had me order an ATX sized one.
I then proceeded to install the waterblock on the 1080Ti and delidding the CPU. The Rockit cool delid kit made it quite easy, in fact it took me half an hour (most of which was to clean the old paste) to get it done even though it was my first time. No need to say that the custom watercooling loop wasn't the easy part of the build. It was my first loop and I chose 12/10mm acrylic tubing knowing that it would be easier to go petg. It took me a few tries and hours to be satisfied with my bends. I went through the entire 3 meters (9.8 feet) of tubing I had and still needed to order another 3 meters to complete the loop while replacing some of the tubing that didn't please me. Once done, I flushed the loop to check if it leaked and to wash it. No leaks !
Overclocking time: after I installed all the drivers, I went ahead and started an overclocking session. I started with the settings I had before (4.8ghz at 1.35v) and it was stable. I went up to 5ghz with 1.39 volts, it almost boot but it froze. I tried 1.4 ghz and it froze again just after I logged in. I wasn't willing to go any higher on the voltage so I setteled with 4.9ghz at 1.35v. I ran 20 minutes of CPU stress on AIDA64 and hit 33°c on load, the processor idles at almost room temperature.
When I thought my job was done, the pc wouldn't boot past the loading screen. The safe mode would give me a black screen, so I started trouble shooting starting with the OC. I loaded optimized defaults but nothing changed. Ram: no changes. So I checked what disk it was booting on, it was the correct one. I happened to remember that the barracuda was acting weird so I unplugged it. Never would I have thought that a faulty, empty, not boot related drive would have been the issue. I still need to dig on how to make Aura work properly (the install can't complete because it's missing "AuraService") so it will stop with the rainbow rgb. This is how CODE was born.
This case looks fantastic. There's plenty of space to work with behind it and I love it. Unfortunately, an EATX won't fit if you have a watercooled system with a radiator next to it and an ATX barely fits. The case gets easily dirty because it's powder coated, anything scratching it will leave a mark that can be cleaned up easily but I still wish it wouldn't happen.
I've only had it for a few days, but I already love it. I've been looking for months for a mouse good enough to replace my M.M.O 7 and I'm not looking back. It's comfy, it's got plenty of buttons which aren't akward to use (I can use each of the top ones without accidently pushing another one) and the quality feel premium, which you would expect of a 200 bucks mouse (you might find it for a lower price but I wasn't that lucky)